Friday, July 29, 2011

A nurse and a patient

Being a nurse and a patient is SO hard to do!!  I checked in to the hospital yesterday for my procedure and tried to have a relaxed attitude about everything.  The nurse came and called my name and took me back to preop area.  She had a little bit of an attitude.  I don't know if she was having a bad day or if she was that way all the time, but I tried to play it off by joking around and being nice.  As I am laying in the bed waiting for her to come and start my IV, I check to make sure everything is in its place and ready to go like it should be i.e. the saline bag is hooked up correctly, primed correctly, clean gloves, cleaning solution for hands near by... As the nurse comes in and starts to get her area ready about one hundred things go through my mind.  You didn't wash your hands, okay now you need to rewash your hands, that is not sterile anymore, please get another one, is that lid still sterile, you are not inserting that correctly.  Now I tried to limit the things I said out loud because this woman didn't know I was a nurse, and I didn't want to get on her bad side.  She begins to look for a vein to start my IV.  After she looks, and looks, and looks I am screaming in my head "Okay now!  put the tourniquet on and start feeling, sometimes you cant see them right away you need to feel for them too."  She found a vein in my right hand and begins to clean the area with the alcohol.  Right before she inserts the needle I pierce my right thumb with my fingernail to offset the pain.  The second she starts the fluid a huge bulge appears in my hand...that is blown.  Now to find another vein.  Without feeling she goes straight for the vein in the bend of my arm, uses the same contaminated alcohol pad, fans the area, and inserts a new needle before I could protest anything.  She administers a little saline and there was no puffiness.  The nurse starts cleaning the area, I feel some pain and tightness in my arm and proceed to tell her.  She glances over and says "It looks good and the solution is going in slow, it's probably just in a sensitive spot."  I try and not make a huge deal about it and keep scanning over the area to make sure it looks fine.  They FINALLY come and take me back for the procedure and my anesthesiologists starts to hook up some medicine.  I immediately feel extreme pain in my arm.  He takes one look at my arm and explains that the IV is definitely not correct.  (I should have been more persistent)  After four more failed attempts the anesthesiologists finally hits the right spot and administers the most wonderful medicine!  The room begins to spin and the next thing I know I am hearing my sweet husbands voice.  I was dreading this moment because I know people are hilarious as the anesthesia wears off.  I had no clue what I was saying or how many times I was saying it. I know Jeremy was probably getting a pretty good laugh.  Oh well, I was glad that everything was over and I would be going home and sleeping in my comfy bed for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment